Fingerboard Thrashing

This is a subject that I’ve been thinking about a lot since I started using professional fingerboarding equipment. When I bought my first real setup, I was in the mindset that the parts were built to be rugged and meant to be bashed and smashed around like a real skateboard. That thought made sense to me, seeing how lifelike all the parts looked and how realistic the construction was.

That being said, I started off riding my first couple setups in a pretty rough manner. I liked how realistic it felt when a rough ledge or rail was scratching underneath my trucks, or when I felt resistance during a board, nose, and tail slide. I was applying decent pressure with my fingers, which was obviously causing some immediate wear right off the bat. I didn’t really think anything of it at first.

However, the more I rode and the more exposure I had to the fingerboarding community, the more it seemed that many riders were doing the exact opposite. It’s sometimes hard for me to tell, but a lot of riders look like they’re purposefully being very light with their hands. They’re not aggressive with their landings and it doesn’t seem like they apply much pressure to their grinds and slides at all. I’m sure it all comes down to preference and style in the end, but is there a general etiquette to how you’re supposed to ride a professional setup?

I’m only asking because I’d rather practice riding in a more correct manner, especially if I can eliminate any potential bad habits sooner rather than later. I appreciate the insight and I look forward to reading the different perspectives and hearing about how everyone feels about thrashing their own setups!

The only right way is the fun way. I love seeing beat up set ups just as much as a fresh new one

That’s the answer I was expecting most, which is probably the most correct one as well! I was hoping to know more about other people’s riding styles and how aggressive they usually are.

As I’ve been progressing, I started seeing some of my trucks’ axles starting to shift around when messing up a trick pretty badly, where I have to push them back into alignment. I also noticed some of my wheels’ bearings becoming loose within the wheel, etc. I was interested in hearing if there were any known “bad habits” I could break to prevent acceleration of that type of wear, or if that’s just an accepted result of gnar fingerboarding.

Hey, if you ride hard, just do you! Nothing wrong with that… just have to be prepared to replace stuff more often. You’ll notice that most of my setups are pristine… but I have a few in regular rotation that I beat the hell out of. Some people even do separate indoor and outdoor setups just for that reason. They want a nice setup to baby, but also want to shred. Thrashed setups also look super cool. As long as they are naturally thrashed. Some kids take metal files to their trucks, and slide their decks back and forth on rough obstacles to “thrash” the deck… it’s way cooler if you obtain it naturally

Oof, the thought of someone intentionally filing their fingerboards hurts my head… Thanks for the insight man! I have a keychain setup for outdoor/spontaneous sessions as well.

I’m sure some of it has to do with comfort too - the better I get at certain tricks, the less effort it takes to perform them. I’ll let my collection grow a little more, then maybe build a couple more setups and rotate through them :+1:

It’s all preference, however there are upsides and downsides to each method for example when you ride in a light manner, it seems almost hard to catch tricks, how ever riding like this preserves your setup longer, personally I’m in the middle, I catch my tricks aggressively but when grinding I ease off. it all comes down to what you like and want to do!

Also in my opinion I think that flicking the board is easier when you do it aggressively.

Yea I’m trying to practice flicking aggressively, but not transitioning the same force into my landing. It takes a little brainpower to keep myself from slamming my catches, as I’m usually too eager to make sure the board doesn’t over rotate. Now unless I’m sure the board will land on its wheels, after executing a flip and a catch, I’ll keep my hand hovered and let the board drop instead of slamming and praying :pray:

It just takes a lot of playing with your brain. Lol flick hard and then just try to float it. The most gentle of touches can stop the rotation usually